Monday 8 September 2008

Fucked-up, poker-faced Sinead O'Connor: Ultralash


A while ago, I reviewed an album called Foamy Lather by Ultralash. You can read the full review on my MOG page.

Today's song is World of Suck (download directly from Ultralash's website) taken from said album – a genuinely fascinating, unsettling and original work. And here's what I said about it:
There's no representative track on this album – no neat encapsulation of the Ultralash sound. But I think 'World Of Suck' illustrates what I (perhaps pretentiously) think of as the band's noncommittal modernism.

Again, carried by a weighty beat (heavily distorted – bit-crushed – kit), it's a poker-faced 'Nothing Compares 2 U' (Sinead O'Connor's version) for the 00s – its lyrics juxtaposing sugary romantic platitudes with intense chauvinism:

"You're cute
Nice rack
Not fat
What's that?
You're fine
I can really talk to you."

It's a brilliantly unsettling song: by turns comical and dark, impenetrably delivered. Again, I'm reminded of PJ Harvey – in spirit and fearlessness more than in sound.

No comments:

Related articles